Wednesday 22 February 2012

Sometimes the mind goes blank


It does, it really does. I started this experiment to see whether blogging would be something that I enjoyed or something that would prove useful: allowing me to talk to others about the things that matter and the issues we all face – both students and teachers. I don’t as a rule comment on specifics, I think it’s unhelpful and also narrows the focus.  

What fascinates me is ideas.  But today there is nothing. The mind has been swept clean, the eyes are sore and the back is bent. I have nothing to say. My students might stand relieved.

But that then leads me to the question. Is that a good thing? A clear mind is a treasure. The ability to be calm; be still, to be able to appreciate tranquillity is one thing achieved through meditation or possibly medication. But to struggle to find words, to be fatigued with speech is distressing and perhaps a little too revealing.

Perhaps I should follow the rules I laid out for students – Peace (sleep), Bread (good food – not the junk food we settle for after three hours of marking) and Land (a little headspace away from the madding crowd). Each has its own benefit for the guys and gals at the front of the classroom.  My own rules are a little more complex and I spent a little of this evening trying to write them down. Those of you who have followed this blog on and off are invited to send me your own rules to follow as a teacher of young (or old). I managed to get it down to 17 – (there were far more when I started). In no particular order...

  1. Never take anything personally
  2. Always be slightly weirder than the kids
  3. Never take work home with you
  4. Always be honest and keep your word.
  5. Don’t be a Martyr
  6. Relate the Material to the Student
  7. Show them how to move up a step.
  8. Show them why it’s cool to be clever
  9. Don’t be afraid of the smart ones
  10. Know what you do well, and do more.
  11. Capture attention any way you can
  12. Smile and remember their names
  13. Treat them like adults
  14. Remember you are not your student or their parent’s friend
  15. Be the expert they need you to be and share your time freely
  16. Do something with them other than teach
  17. Solve problems quickly and don’t panic

1 comment:

  1. 18. You can only do what you can do.
    19. Deal with it now, clear some space to deal with it later, or dispose of it.
    20. "I don't know" is an acceptable answer, but only if followed by "but I can find out for next time" (then see rule 4)

    ReplyDelete